Monday, July 5, 2010

first day at work

Today was my first day at Agio which was more of an introduction day. I got a ride to and from work today so I didn't have to try and decipher the bus system as I didn't know where I was going. I got a general overview of what I will be working from my boss, Sander and then I met everyone in the office. There are a lot of people working there so I couldn't remember everyones names but they were all very nice. Most of the people working there are fairly young which surprised me. We ate lunch in the cafeteria which was mainly a build your own sandwich thing with soup or fruit or something like that. One thing about the lunch that surprised me was that milk was the only option to drink (at least that I could see). My boss explained that milk is what everyone there drinks with lunch (they drink a lot of fresh milk here). Anyways, after lunch Sander took me to the new factory they have in Belgium! It was really interesting to see how the cigars are made and to learn about how the tobacco is grown and all the different varieties that are sent to them etc. After that he gave me a ride back to my apartment (about 45-1 hour from the factory and 30-40 minutes from the office).

on another note:
I was excited to see that the reality company came today while I was gone and fixed my hot water which has been non existent since I got here (not fun).

Also yesterday Sander had me over to his house to have dinner with his family. We had a bbq in their back yard which was really pretty and very nice weather. It was the same general type of bbq we would have, with the only big difference being that they do not eat the meat with buns, they just cut it and eat it. So I still got to have a cook out on the 44th of July!

Later that night after I got home I realized that the sun doesn't go down here until almost 11pm (and it rises at about 5am)! I guess I was so tired the day before I didn't even notice. Also I might be getting a bike in a week or two because Jonas' (one of the owners of the company, who picked me up from the airport)friend won a bike and has an extra one. I hope that works out, if not I will buy a cheap one because I will be able to get around town so much faster and easier if I have one.

No comments:

Post a Comment